FAT and NTFS both are the file systems used to manage and organize the data on a hard disk drive. In general, file system depends upon the operating system. The FAT file system i.e. File Allocation Table was introduced way back in 1977 and NTFS i.e. New Technology File System in 1993 by Microsoft. FAT is a window based operating system that is used by windows to store the information about each file in the FAT so that it can retrieve the file later on. The reason why it is necessary to convert FAT to NTFS is that NTFS is much more advanced in all the traits, may it be performance, security or reliability as compared to FAT. And thus it is recommended for a system as it is dynamic and more powerful. This new and improved system not only rely on these features but also preferred for hosting Active Directory and providing domain based security to the system.
Now the point is “how to convert FAT32 to NTFS without format or loss of data”. There are many software which help in this conversion but the convert command is one of the easiest. But before the conversion all you need to know is that once u convert FAT to NTFS, you cannot just convert it back to FAT or FAT 32. For that you will need to reformat the drive which may lead to deletion of all the data.
Follow the steps below and despite of the fact that this method is the best, it would still be suggested to keep the backup of your data.
STEPS OF CONVERSION of FAT or FAT32 to NTFS for Windows
1. Go to computer and note the name of that file you wish to convert into NTFS or New Technology File System.
Before changing the extension
2. Open Command Prompt-
Click on Start and type cmd in the search bar and open the Command Prompt window.
3. Execute “chkdsk g:/f” where G is the letter of drive to be converted.
4. Execute “Convert G:/FS:NTFS” in command prompt and click Enter.
Its done and you can check above
5. The command prompt will begin the process of conversion and after some instant of time cmd (command prompt) will say the conversion is successful.
6. In case if you see any error message while conversion, don’t worry just restart your window once or twice, windows will automatically perform the action and you are done there.
7. You may now check in the properties of the drive through right click < Properties. Your file is successfully converted to the required format.
It is recommended to choose a file system which is best suitable for your long term needs and requirements, as change in the volume’s existing file system can be time consuming. Also you must back up your data before performing this action. This method of converting FAT to New Technology File System may not cause in loss of your data or formatting of it but one should keep it safety wise. Another point is that some of the programs may not be able to run on NTFS volume, so it’s better option to research for the requirements before converting it.